Milliman offers a suite of products that can be used to improve the medical underwriting process. These products can be licensed individually or together.
- Individual Medical Underwriting Guidelines (IMUGs) are evidence-based underwriting guidelines enabling underwriters to measure the relative risk associated with individuals based on their medical and prescription drug histories. Relative to the rating process, the IMUGs provide a consistent evidence-based metric that underwriters can use to determine the optimal rating action for each applicant.
- Small Group Medical Underwriting Guidelines (SGMUGs) are underwriting guidelines similar to the IMUGs except they are tailored specifically for underwriting and rating small groups.
- RenewalMUGs are MUGs™-based underwriting software that utilize all available claim, pharmacy, premium, and enrollment data to identify the conditions and relative health status of members.
- WebMUGs provide an Internet-based interface to the MUGs for assigning conditions to individuals and automating debit calculations. The product is available for both the SGMUGs and IMUGs and facilitates easy tracking and reporting of initial underwriting ratings.
- IntelliScript is an Internet-based service that retrieves prescription drug information about applicants from various databases to create a drug history that underwriters can use in underwriting decisions.
The Medical Underwriting Guidelines™ (MUGs) are developed through the cooperative efforts of Milliman's actuarial and clinical consultants and represent a combination of their research, experience, and judgment. Milliman also carefully reviews client input and considers this as part of the update process. The MUGs are evidence-based, and have data analysis based on a longitudinal database containing nine years of claim data at their core.
Contact your Milliman consultant or the Health Cost Guidelines Manager at HCGManager@Milliman.com if you are interested in licensing any of these products.